Sunday, February 22, 2009

Hitch hiking

Emily and I hitch hiked twice today! It was so easy. It's pretty safe and common on the big island and also it's our best way of getting around. Even so, my mom probably won't like it when I tell her we did it. It kind of stinks not having a car, but it was really fun to try hitching.

We went to the small catholic church and then to the farmers market to get lunch--a burrito from the burrito lady. Then we hiked down to the Captain Cook monument at Kealakekua Bay and snorkeled for the first time. Snorkeling is so so cool. I cut my foot on the reef when I jumped in. Then we tried to hike along the coast over jagged lava rock only to have it dead end, so we had to turn back. Then my water ran out and we still had to hike all the way back up to the main road, probably a 1000 foot elevation climb. I haven't been that thirsty in a long time. Emily hiked the whole thing in flip flops! Also, another guy from the farm we were hiking with got food poisoning from an avocado and was puking on the way up. But anyways, we're back and I downed a liter of water and scarfed an entire papaya, so all I need is a trip to the outdoor shower and i'll be good to go.

Burrito! Only 5 dolla! (I told you things were expensive here)
Coriena

2 comments:

Lori said...

hitchhiking to go to church? ha-at least you're not alone! glad you survived that hike!!

M!chelle said...

Flip Flops huh? reminds me of hiking in the rockies! sounds like you are having so much fun!
you saw a whatl..NO WAY! eat some avocado for me!